Craft & Technology
Craft and Technology Department
is responsible for 2 different subject areas:
1) Design and Technology and 2) Food and Nutrition.
Ms Ng Huey Lee
SH / Craft & Technology
|Mr Chui Fook Wengemail@example.com|
|Mr Sallehuddin Md Yasinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Sasman Mohamedemail@example.com|
|Ms Premaa Ravichandranfirstname.lastname@example.org |
|Ms Renuga D/O Rama Moorthyemail@example.com|
|Mdm Roslina Abdul Azizfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mdm Norliati Bte Asnabemail@example.com|
The department nurtures students to be able to demonstrate the ability to handle authentic-based situation, integrate varied skills such as resource management and evaluation skills and create effective solutions.
A two year programme which allows students to undertake a series of projects progressively to consolidate their learning and to acquire new knowledge and skills as well as harness their innate curiosity to create through design-and-make activities.
Students shall develop:
For Secondary One, students will learn to appreciate the making of ‘Display Stand’ and ‘Wooden Block Toy’ which is based on an authentic situation in the Singapore context. For Secondary Two students, they will learn to design and make an ‘Identification Light Device’ and a ‘Balancing Holder’ based on design opportunities. Through these teacher-controlled structured projects, they will experience the design process and understand the use of different materials, mock-ups and technology to make the product.
The six essential dimensions that are characteristic of learning in our D&T subject are:
1. Basic Thinking
2. Basic Technology
3. Project-driven Knowledge and Skills
4. Design Thinking
5. Doodling and Sketching
6. 3D Manipulation
In Secondary Four, D&T student will embark on their Coursework Exam starting from January to July. The Coursework Exam comprises of their design journal, presentation boards and prototypes. In October, students will sit for their Written Examination.
At the end of Secondary Three, we aim to develop designerly dispositions in our D&T students.
The Secondary Three programme consist of the following:
1. Student driven open-ended project to develop their design thinking and drawing communication Skills
2. Research work to support decision making in design process
3. Manipulating 3D objects (mock-ups and prototypes)
4. Leveraging on the three technological areas to complement design thinking
5. Use of ICT such as Google Sketch-Up to communicate design solutions
6. Doodling and sketching for effective design communication
Gracious and Dynamic Global Citizens – The department envisions students who will be able to demonstrate a sense of responsibility to share nutritional knowledge with family & the community and stay abreast with new developments in culinary and food technology. Building Character, Nurturing Talents – Through hands-on practical sessions, student-centered and independent learning, we hope to develop our students to be confident, resourceful, discerning and healthy individuals.
1. Food and Consumer Education syllabus
2. Hands-on cooking practical session
3. Coursework – Students will be tasked to plan and prepare a food item or dish, by considering and evaluating a situation that embraces one or more areas of the syllabus.
1. Food Science and Nutrition syllabus
2. Hands-on cooking practical session
3. Coursework – in-preparation sessions for GCE N and O level examination at Sec 3 level
4. Culinary Enrichment workshop for Sec 3 F&N Students
D&T AND F&N DEPARTMENT PEDAGOGY
- Instruction and demonstration
- Peer instruction (between students) and group work
- Self- directed learning
- Hands-on tasks
|D&T SIGNATURE DEPARTMENT PROGRAMMES|
The Upper Secondary students would be proficient in the use of ICT software such as Google Sketchup to produce the various drawings for their Presentation boards. Students will also participate in competitions to encourage creativity through design and thinking challenges.
The following students won the Most Innovative team for the Category 3 – Body Weight challenge for the 2018 Science and Technology Challenge!
Our truss bridge and testing of the truss bridge!
Our balloon-powered vehicle!
|NFS SIGNATURE DEPARTMENT PROGRAMMES|
Seri Rahayu Bte Rahmad from Sec 3/2, together with two other team mates from other schools won the first place. Jernice Ong Geok Peng and Benjamin Chan from Sec 3/2 produced two other dishes with their respective teams.